Dripping Your Way to Trouble. Expert Dry of Pensacola, FL.
Drip… Drip… Drip… a leaky pipe or drain may not seem to be that big of a deal, but it could be the first indicator of big trouble coming your way.
Most people — just like you — think of water damage situations as a broken pipe spewing water all over the place, or perhaps a failing sump pump resulting in a basement that imitates a swimming pool you did not want.
Other water damages can occur from an overflowing toilet or — even worse — sewage backup that can mean replacement of surfaces and belongings in your home.
Catastrophic water damage situations, such as from a storm, flood waters and similar water intrusions, are about impossible to predict and prepare for.
But when it comes to smaller issues, you can do quite a bit to keep your home nice and dry and free of musty, moldy odors.
The first step is prevention. If you have a faucet dripping, you may think the only loss would be pennies a day. But what if your drain plugged up and you were gone for an extended period of time? Drips can quickly add up and create an overflow that can cause expensive water damage. And a leaky pipe under a cabinet or toilet is really bad news as that can quickly get worse and flood your home. So be sure to either fix these issues yourself or hire a plumber.
The second step is to dry out any existing moisture that may exist in areas that can be damp from either dripping water supply pipes and hoses to drains. Wipe up as much water as you can and get some air movement onto the surfaces affected.
The third step is to get professional help. Call your water damage pro not only when emergencies strike, but to receive valuable advice in advance.
Do what’s right. Call your water damage pro!
Candles and Scents. Expert Dry of Pensacola, FL.
There’s nothing more inviting than the smell of delicious cookies, cakes or other tasty foods being prepared in the kitchen. Your nose can’t help but lead you to the source.
There are other smells in many homes that are inviting as well… those nice fragrances from scented candles. There are hundreds of scents available, from favorites such as vanilla, citrus, lavender, and more. Some scents smell just like cookies or cakes in the oven. Of course, you don’t get the benefit of eating them!
Yet, as inviting as those scents may be, there are some concerns you should consider as you burn them.
It’s been noted by various environmental groups and indoor air quality specialists that burning candles can produce pollutants such as acetone, toluene, benzene and others. It’s what is found in soot, considered a hazard all on its own.
More and more people — perhaps just like yourself — love the smell of these scented candles. Yet are they putting off smoke, even invisible smoke, that can be leaving an unhealthy residue in your home? It could be. Remember, soot is the product of material that didn’t totally go through the combustion process of burning. If the flame of your candle isn’t totally blue, no doubt there is soot being produced.
What can you do?
Choose your scents wisely. Opt for natural wax materials, such as beeswax or soy candles, both of which are better choices than wax made from petroleum products. Natural materials may cost more, but is a better, safer and healthier choice.
Make sure your wick is burning adequately. The wick should burn evening with the melting wax, and curl as it burns. Ensuring the wick is less than ½ inch long when you light it will help.
Keep your candles burning where there is limited or no draft. Air movement can cause the flame to burn erratically possibly create more soot or pollution.
Don’t burn your candles all the time. Make it a treat. Burn them when you are in the mood for a nice scent in the home.
And when you do have issues with your candles, such as a residue on surfaces in your home, call your restoration pro. They can help determine if your candle burning habits are safe!
Mysterious Mustiness. Expert Dry of Pensacola, FL.
It’s easy to know where musty or moldy odors are coming from after you have suffered from a water damage, which happens from a broken pipe, overflowing toilet or flooding from rainwater, to mention a few.
But what do you do when you notice a mysterious “musty” odor in your home? Nothing is broken. There was no big storm. The sump pump is chugging away like normal.
Mysterious musty odors can be caused by a variety of situations. Figuring out where they are coming from and remediating them is the challenge.
What are some common causes?
Ice dams are the bane of winter. Ice dams are created on roofs in cold climates. They develop when snow accumulates on a roof with a slope, the snow starts to melt and the water slowly moves down the slope to the eaves or gutters. The water can’t drain because of the amount of debris in the gutters, such as from leaves. It then refreezes, creating an ice dam, which means during the next thaw water can’t drain through the obstruction. This then causes leaks through the roofing material, and into your home. If the water intrusion is minimal, you might not even know it is happening, until your nose knows… detecting that mysterious musty odor.
Leaky drains are another cause of musty odors. If the leak is very slow, water can drip, drip, drip… and over time cause damage under sinks. You don’t notice it because it’s hidden, and the amount of water is contained in a small area. But you start to notice the smell, that mysterious mustiness that you are determined to eradicate.
Severe condensation on windows is easy to see but often homeowners don’t appreciate the damage potential. This odor-causing issue is caused by excessive moisture in the home, especially in the winter when windows draw the moisture onto cold surfaces. The moisture itself isn’t the problem. The problem is when the moisture moves down into the window sills and any natural woodwork or even wall interiors get wet and create that mysterious musty odor.
What can you do? Do an inspection. Look at all areas in your home that water can intrude or accumulate. Your restoration pros have the equipment to do it right, with moisture meters and special cameras that detect moisture.
Be smart. Give them a call.
Fire Prevention Safety Tips. Expert Dry of Pensacola, FL.
While a water damage occurring in your home from a rain or windstorm, a broken pipe or perhaps an overflowing sink or toilet is a terrible event to experience, virtually nothing is as devastating as a fire.
And while statistics indicate a downward trend in house fires, mainly because of better, modern safety protocols, it is still a huge issue that must be addressed. For example, in 2013 there were more than 1,200,000 home fires, nearly 3,500 deaths and 16,000 injuries reported by the National Fire Protection Association.
More than half of home fires start in one of your favorite places: The kitchen. That’s right. Cooking is an everyday occurrence and it is the number one cause of fires. Usually on the stove. Other causes include candles, Christmas trees, overburdened electrical cords/outlets, appliance malfunctions and cigarettes or cigars, to name just a few.
What can you do to make things safe in your home and protect your family?
The following list of fire safety tips will protect your home and family.
If a house fire does happen, we hope your loves ones are perfectly safe and healthy. But odds are, your home and belongings will need professional attention. Call your fire and smoke damage professional right away.
Water Damaged Electronics. Expert Dry of Pensacola, FL.
It’s a terrible sinking feeling (pun intended) you get when you drop your iPhone, iPad or Android — or other expensive hand-held electronic device — into water, such as a sink, bathtub or (gross) toilet.
When that happens, you respond quickly. You dip your hand into the offending reservoir, grab the device and shake it vigorously, hoping against all odds that you can force all moisture out before permanent damage occurs.
You may even dunk your device into a bag of rice, hoping that online tip you read about rice pulling moisture from electronic devices is true. You may submit it mercilessly to the business end of a hairdryer until it is too hot to hold.
What’s the best thing to do when electronic devices suffer from water damage?
Some devices are water-resistant or water-proof. If that’s the case, quickly removing the device from the water and drying it might be all you need to do, along with hoping the manufacturer wasn’t overselling this benefit. Replacement might be the only option. Check your warranty. It may cover this type of accident.
If your device is the victim of a direct spray of water, quickly wiping it down, removing the battery (if possible) and cleaning as much of the interior as possible may solve the problem. With the power off, put the device under a heat lamp or even in direct sunlight — but not for too long. Too much direct heat can cause damage. The rice trick mentioned earlier only works for that last little bit of residual moisture. Remove as much moisture as you can before using rice or other absorbent compounds.
If your device, once dried, seems to work… that’s good. But don’t be surprised if you notice a decrease in performance over time. Residues can cause future problems, even resulting in total loss of power or performance.
Before any of this happens, you should protect your data, which is often more valuable than the device itself. Use a good online storage program.
The best bet, however, with water damaged electronics is to call your water damage professionals right away. Odds are, they have a contents restoration specialist on staff who can give you the guidance and help you need.